The von Stiehl Winery in Algoma is holding a 50th anniversary event Saturday to mark the latest milestone for Wisconsin’s oldest licensed winery.
The celebration is scheduled from noon to 5 p.m. at the winery, 115 Navarino St., Algoma, in the building that dates to 1868.
Dr. Charles Stiehl bought the old structure and completely restored it, opening the winery in 1967. There were no wineries in the state at the time, so he asked the state to create a winery license for his endeavor. This makes von Stiehl’s the oldest winery license in the state. The business did so well that he opened two more von Stiehl Wineries, one in Baraboo and one in Rhinelander.
The Schmiling brothers who grew up in von Stiehl Winery now own and operate it. The older brother, Aric, utilizes the most modern equipment known to winemaking as he artfully crafts fine wines. The younger brother, Brad, likes romance and history and manages the business.
The Civil War-era building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, features a tasting room, a 10,000-square-foot production facility, three Civil war era underground limestone tunnels and a spacious outdoor terrace with Lake Michigan views.
Saturday’s event will include a buffet luncheon from Skaliwag’s and ragtime music by the River City Six.