Kewaunee County parents and guardians of young children who struggle to afford diapers, can now get some assistance through a new program organized by the county Public Health Department, called the “Diaper Bank.”
“If we can help cover the cost of something that cannot be bought with FoodShare or covered by the WIC Program, we may be taking the stress off of a family from having to choose between buying diapers or paying a bill,” said Cindy Kinnard, RN, Director of the department. “Clean diapers are essential to a baby’s health and our shelves are currently stocked thanks to the support of the community.”
The initiative of the “Diaper Bank” was started by recent donation drives held by the Algoma School District as well as the Luxemburg-Casco School District, which collected a combined total of nearly 100 packages of diapers and more than 160 packages of wipes.
Donations of diapers in all sizes and wipes can be dropped off at the Kewaunee County Public Health Department, 810 Lincoln St., Kewaunee, between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. Monetary donations can be made payable to the Kewaunee County Public Health Department via check with a notation of “Diaper Bank” in the memo and mailed to 810 Lincoln St., Kewaunee, WI 54216.
To qualify as a program participant and receive diapers and wipes, please review:
- Participants are allowed to get diapers once per month for each child in their care and legal custody, who are between the ages of birth and 4 years old.
- Participants must provide a birth certificate, crib card or immunization record for the child to be served. No future due dates for children will be accepted.
- Participants must have proof of address. (Kewaunee County residents ONLY).
- Call the Kewaunee County Public Health Department at 920-388-7160 to check diaper availability and schedule a pick up time.
- If participants need to have someone else pick up their diapers, they must provide a note that gives approval. The note must be dated and signed by the participant.
- Each diaper package will contain 25-40 diapers, depending on the diaper size and a container of wipes if available. Specific brands cannot be requested.