The Kewaunee Lions Club has taken over administration of the Kewaunee Community Garden.
The county University of Wisconsin-Extension office helped foster the start of three community gardens with the intent for them to be independent of Extension and operated through nonprofit organizations.
Agriculture agent Aerica Bjurstrom worked with a Lions volunteer to transition the Kewaunee garden to the club, which will administer and organize volunteers, garden contracts and collection of funds.
The Kewaunee garden is scheduled to open May 27 on Baumeister Drive, in a 2.5 acre field which used to house buffalo. Email email@example.com for more information. It’s the last of the three to transition to a private group.
The Algoma community garden is run through the Kewaunee County Food Pantry, behind the building at 1528 Sunset Ave., and the Luxemburg garden is operated by St. John Lutheran Church, 700 Heritage Road.