The victim of a kidnapping and shooting incident is improving, a person close to her told a Green Bay television station Wednesday (Nov. 20).

WBAY-TV Channel 2 reported that “a person close to Babette Caraballo” said the 40-year-old Green Bay woman’s injuries were no longer life-threatening but she faces a long road to recovery.

Shortly after 4:30 a.m. Tuesday, police say, Luis Cardona, 38, abducted Caraballo at gunpoint from Hansen Foods on Green Bay’s far east side, where she worked.

Investigators contacted the Kewaunee County Sheriff’s Department with a mutual aid request about three hours later after tracking Cardona to a rural home outside Kewaunee, Sheriff Matt Joski said.

Units from the Sheriff’s Department along with the City of Kewaunee Police and State Patrol in cooperation with officers from the City of Green Bay.

Law enforcement made contact with the suspect, at which time Cardona shot Caraballo. A deputy shot and killed Cardona a moment later.

“The suspect in this situation pretty much made the decision and forced us into what occurred,” Joski told reporters at the scene in an impromptu press conference carried on Facebook Live by WLUK-TV Channel 11.

The investigation has been turned over to the Wisconsin Department of Justice Division of Criminal Investigation, which handles officer-involved incidents.

The incident was at least the third in a month that involved Cardona and Caraballo, according to online court records. He was charged with kidnapping, false imprisonment and disorderly conduct in connection with an incident that occurred Oct. 18.

After an initial appearance in Brown County Circuit Court three days later, Cardona was released on a $10,000 signature bond, and Court Commissioner Paul Burke ordered him to have no contact with Carabello, her home or place of employment.

She also filed for a restraining order, and Burke granted an injunction Nov. 7 prohibiting Cardona from coming near Caraballo and restricting his possession of firearms. But Cardona violated that order on Nov. 11 and again Tuesday.

He had been scheduled to be in court Tuesday to face two new counts of bail jumping and a third count of knowingly violating a restraining order, court records show.